Our experience, your advantage

Before renting a property from Bay.View.Beach Real Estate, you may have some questions. We’ve included the most frequently asked questions and their answers, below.


What is the bond?

A security deposit or bond is an amount paid in advance and placed in trust while you rent a property. It is surety for the property owner in case you leave without notice and/or damage the property. The bond is four weeks’ rent and you pay it when the lease is signed and you take possession of the property. If the property is maintained, there are no repairs required and no rent is owed, then the bond is returned to you at the end of the lease.


How do I pay the bond?

Your bond is payable direct online to the RBO (Rental Bonds Online). Your property manager will email you a link to set up an account and pay the bond by Mastercard or Visa direct to the RBO. Note if you have rented a previous property you will need to get a credit for your previous bond as your new rental will have a new lodgement number ie; You cannot transfer a previous rental property bond.


How do I pay the rent?

Please pay your rent by Direct Deposit (EFT), into the Bay.View.Beach Property Management account. We will provide you with the account details when you sign your Lease. You must use your "Surname and unit/house number" in the EFT reference section so your payment can be easily tracked. We encourage tenants to pay on the 10th of every month (as per the supplied rent schedule attached to the Lease) A reminder invoice will be emailed out 3 days prior to allow for the EFT funds to be in our bank account on the due date. Please note Bay.View.Beach does not accept cash or hold cash on its premises.


Will the rent increase?

The owner can chose to increase the rent at the end of the rental agreement, with 60 days notice as long as it in line with current market.


Who pays the water rates?

In a unit the owner pays the water rates. However in a house the owner pays the water rates and you pay (will be billed) for the water usage accordingly.


How often do the BVB team carry out inspections?

Generally with a 12 months lease there will be a routine check at 4 months and again at 9 months.


What happens if I do not pay the agreed rent?

As the tenant, it is your obligation to pay the rent. If you don’t pay the rent by the agreed date, then the property manager will seek to end your tenancy. If your rent remains unpaid, the owner may issue a Notice of Termination for Non Payment of Rent. This notice seeks to terminate the agreement and requires you to leave the property within seven days.


I’m having trouble paying the rent, what can I do?

Please talk to your property manager as soon as possible as our daily arrears system will note your non-payment and you'll be issued with warning letters and legal notices. With the owner's consent we may be able to work out an arrears payment schedule. Remember, the Bay.View.Beach team is here to help you, so contact us straight away, and don't delay the inevitable.


Can I withhold rent?

In short, no. If the owner does not honour their obligations under the lease agreement, you are not legally able to withhold rent. You may issue a Notice of Breach of Agreement (by Owner). If the situation is not fixed by the end of the notice period, an application may be forced to lodge court proceedings for the owner to remedy the alleged breach.


The property I am renting is for sale. How much notice will BVB give me about inspections?

The Residential Tenancies Act suggests that the owner or agent may enter the property, for the purpose of showing the premises to prospective purchasers, at any reasonable hour and on a reasonable number of occasions, after giving the tenant 7 days notice. The Bay.View.Beach team will endeavour to give you as much notice as possible. There will be 30 minute weekend inspections plus one 30 minute midweek inspection by mutual agreement.


The property I am renting has now been sold. I have a fixed 12-month lease with 6 months still to run. What will happen to my lease?

A fixed term lease stays in place when a property is sold. As the tenant, you have the right to remain in the property until the end of your lease. The new owner takes on the same lease rights and obligations as the previous owner.


Do I need contents insurance?

It is your responsibility to insure your own belongings and furniture. We strongly recommended you take out contents insurance.


Can I break the lease prior to the end of the agreement? 

We can assist you should you wish to break your tenancy agreement. The first step is to call us on 02 9999 1373. The following conditions will apply;

  1. The tenant is responsible for and must pay rent until the property is re-let to a suitable tenant that is approved by the landlord and a binding agreement has been entered into with the new tenant or until the end of the tenancy agreement, whichever is sooner.
  1. You will also be charged a pro rata break lease fee (ie half a weeks rent)  and advertising costs expended by Bay.View.Beach Real Estate in the process of securing a new tenant.


I’ve been broken into, what should I do?

First and foremost, contact the police immediately. Then, contact us on 02 9999 1373, providing us the full details of the break in. We will require the report number (the police will give you this) so that we can validate repairs via the owner’s insurance (otherwise you are liable for the repairs). Please remember the landlord's insurances will not cover your own personal items. Bay.View.Beach Real Estate strongly suggest that you take out home and contents insurance.


Can I put hooks on the wall for pictures? 

You will need to contact your Bay.View.Beach property manager prior to making any alterations to the property, no matter how small it is. You will be fully responsible for any unauthorised alterations to the property. We have a strict policy that all walls that have marks or damage to them will need to be totally repainted (no touch ups) by an approved professional painter.


If the property I am renting does not have door or window locks what can I do?

The Residential Tenancies Act suggests that the owner provide and maintain locks or other devices as are necessary to ensure that the premises are reasonably secure. If you are concerned that this is not the case, please call the Bay.View.Beach team on 02 9999 1373.


If you have any further questions, please call us on 02 9999 1373 or drop into the office at shop 15, 12 – 14 Waratah Street, Mona Vale, NSW, 2103.